Costa Rica's Capital
Culture - Cuisine - Nightlife
San José is Costa Rica's capital and home to a quarter of its population. A city tour provides a cultural experience for tourists who want to see the Costa Rican lifestyle. San Jose is also home to the country's top restaurants, museums, some of its best entertainment, casinos, parks, plazas, and the Central Avenue walking boulevard. San José is also a great base for taking day trips to other regions of the country.
Typically, guests arriving on evening flights and/or departing on early morning flights choose to stay in San José for their first and/or last night of their vacation. Many visitors choose to stay an extra night or two to enjoy the sights near the city, take a white water rafting trip or experience the city's cultural and social life.
Four areas of the city and suburbs feature great San Jose hotels. Downtown offers easy access to museums, parks, theatre, restaurants, and nightlife. The western suburb of Escazu, the city's main residential area, is near shopping malls, outstanding restaurants and nightlife. La Sabana Park offers access to downtown without being in the heart of the city, and the northern suburb of San Antonio de Belen provides easy access to the International Airport and day trips north of the city.
Suggested Activities While in San Jose:
- The best class III and IV white water rafting trips are available as one- and two-day trips out of San Jose. The Pacuare River, one of the world's top three rivers for rafting and kayaking, is an especially unforgettable adventure.
- The Poas Highlights tour is a well-designed one-day tour to the Poás Volcano and National Park, La Paz Waterfall Gardens and the Doka Coffee Plantation. Visitors will visit one of the earth's largest craters, five magnificent waterfalls, Costa Rica's largest butterfly farm, and learn about coffee plantations and production.
- Play golf at the Valle del Sol and the Cariari courses.
- Climb the Irazu Volcano and see the Orosi Valley. Take a trip east, past the city of Cartago, to the Irazu Volcano, one of the country's highest peaks. Additionally, tours visit the Orosi valley, a fertile landscape with scenic views and interesting towns.
- Explore San José's top museums and landmarks. Downtown, a number of attractions are within walking distance. Visit San Jose's Cathedral, the renowned National Theatre, Plaza de la Cultura, and the Gold Museum. Continue on to the National Museum where you can learn about Pre-Columbian Costa Rican cultures. Other sites in the neighborhood include the Costa Rican Congress, Democracy Square, the Jade Museum, and the Children's museums.
Feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us toll free at (800) 608-3119 to talk to one of our Costa Rica vacation specialists or to design a customized Costa Rica travel package that includes a visit to the San Jose area.
Available Hotels in San Jose
View San Jose, Costa Rica in a larger map