Folklore Capital of Costa Rica
Volcano - Natural Spas - Rainforest
Set within the northwest reaches of Costa Rica, the Guanacaste province has easy access to some of the country’s most tempting draws – white-sand beaches, turquoise waters, and impressive, volcano-studded rainforests. You can see the majestic volcano Rincon de la Vieja, beautiful rivers like the Tempisque, and can enjoy several attractions in folk traditions.
Liberia is the capital city and as such acts as a gateway for the entire province. The Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport allows for uncomplicated travel to and from the area, and there are a nice variety of car rentals and transport services to get you where you want to go.
While in Liberia (Optional activities not included):
- Visit the city of Liberia, The Chapel of the Agony (Antigua), the new church, the Cowboy Museum (Sabanero), and in other places like the market. Nearby attractions include cattle ranches, with their peculiar lifestyle.
- Visit the Rincon de la Vieja National Park and some of the mud baths and hot springs in the region. This park offers the opportunity to select from a wide range of activities including challenging hikes, relaxing hot mud baths, exciting tours on horseback, and one of Costa Rica’s top canopy adventures. Two tour options include the renowned Hacienda Guachipelin, or the hike in the National Park.
- Enjoy a leisurely boat ride through the dry tropical forest on a tour to the Palo Verde National Park. This park is home to amazing wildlife, including two species of monkeys, sloths, tropical birds, coatimundis, and unique reptiles.
- Shop for souvenirs in Liberia.
Located just north of Palo Verde National Park, the city of Bagaces in Guanacaste is the capital of the canton of the same name. Bagaces lies around 20 miles from the western shore of Lake Arenal, and is a perfect example of the kind of town that can be found all over Costa Rica.
With friendly, welcoming locals and picturesque views of the Guanacaste countryside, Bagaces is an ideal place to stop, meet the townsfolk and enjoy a cold drink on your way to Liberia or the province's national parks.
While in Bagaces (Optional activities not included):
- Bike Park, through various landscapes from plains, dwarfs forests, bridges, rocks, rivers and pastures.
- Enjoy Canyon Adventure are inspiring Rio Blanco canyon is the main stage for the awesome cable-based adventure.
- After enjoying the trails and springs, an authentic Guanacaste culinary experience awaits the visitors at the panoramic terraces. Just below the terraces are the beautifully designed thermal pools with their private swim-up bar, a hanging bridge that connects to the reserve, and lookouts with stunning views of the canyons and dry-forest.