Folklore Capital of Costa Rica
Volcano - Natural Spas - Rainforest
Although Rincon de la Vieja does not have the reputation of Arenal Volcano, it's no less a mesmerizing sight. Surrounded by picturesque landscapes and lush forests, the thermal springs with hot pools and mineral mud baths in the region are truly unique. The Rincon de la Vieja National Park has become one of the most popular day tour destinations for guests staying at the Guanacaste beach resorts. Rincon de la Vieja is the closest rainforest park to the Guanacaste beaches and can easily be visited as a day tour. However, with its close proximity to Liberia, the capital of Guanacaste, and other national parks, the area is a great destination unto itself.
The region features quaint hotels with an emphasis on Costa Rican culture, folklore and nature, such as Buena Vista Lodge, and ecotourism lodges catering to nature lovers and adventure travelers, such as Hacienda Guachipelin and Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort & Spa.
Liberia is home to the Daniel Oduber International Airport. Tourist attractions include the Liberia Mia zoo and souvenir shops. Stays in the city are recommended for guests with late night arrivals or early morning departures. There are two Best Western Hotels, and a Hilton Garden Inn is scheduled to open in late 2008.
Suggested Activities While in Rincon de la Vieja - Liberia:
- Enjoy a leisurely boat ride through the dry tropical forest on a tour to the Palo Verde National Park. This park is home to amazing wildlife, including two species of monkeys, sloths, tropical birds, coatimundis, and unique reptiles.
- Glide through the rainforest in a challenging canopy tour experience. Enjoy a trademark Costa Rican nature adventure while learning about this unique ecosystem.
- Visit the Rincon de la Vieja National Park and some of the mud baths and hot springs in the region. Other activities available in the park include challenging hikes, horseback tours and one of Costa Rica's top canopy adventures.
- Buena Vista Lodge, adjacent to the Tenorio Volcano, offers horseback riding and also features hot springs.
- Shop for souvenirs in Liberia.
- While visiting Guanacaste, Africa Mia is a must for tourists with a profound love for animals. The African Safari Wildlife Tour takes you across trails, primary forest, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls, allowing respectful close encounters with Guanacaste's flora and fauna as well as a select collection of exotic African wildlife. Not only will you explore the savannah in a specialized vehicle, but you will have the opportunity to pet and feed some of the animals.
- Visit the famous artisan village of Guaitil in Santa Cruz and learn about the Chorotega Indians while watching the artists make this Pre-Columbian era pottery.
- Head north to Nicaragua and visit another Central American country while you are in the region. This day-long tour will take you across the border to southern Nicaragua. Visit Lake of Nicaragua and the picturesque town of Masaya, home to many artisans. The highlight of the trip is a visit to one of Latin America's oldest cities, the colonial Granada, full of interesting architecture.
Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free at (800) 608-3119 to talk to one of our Costa Rica vacation specialists or to plan a customized Costa Rica travel package that includes a visit to the Rincon de la Vieja - Liberia area.
View Rincon de la Vieja - Liberia in a larger map